Family Favorite Recipe: Pizza-Rice Casserole
This is a family favorite from when our kids were young. I was never a big fan of rice, but my family was, and this recipe was often requested by hubby and kids alike. It was an easy recipe that I could do without much thought,
Now, doing the low-carb thing and all, I haven't made it in a while. You could sub in cauliflower rice, but Ken isn't a fan of that, so I haven't tried it. The meat and cottage cheese together yields a high protein dish.
I'm giving you the simple basic recipe here, but you could customize it to your family's taste...add in whatever pizza toppings or seasonings your bunch likes.
Brown in a medium skillet:
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 chopped onion (optional)
Add and simmer for a few minutes:
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/4 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tsp. salt
- dash pepper
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. parsley flakes
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 2 cups cooked rice (whatever kind you like)
- 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
In a greased 2-qt casserole dish, layer half of the rice mixture, half of the meat mixture, and some shredded cheese of your choice. Repeat layers. Bake at 325 for about 20-25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- To make this even easier, in place of the tomato sauce and seasonings, use your favorite store-bought pizza sauce.
- Add (either a layer, or sprinkle on top) pepperoni, peppers, onions, olives, mushrooms, or any other pizza toppings.
- This would also be great with Elm Run Farms' 50/50 Blend Sausage/Ground Beef
Your tribe will thank you for this recipe!! Let me know if you try it...and what variations your family likes!